The Kendall family Yachts and Sailing archive includes drawings and specifications for various sailing vessels, details on their construction, photographs, documents, logbooks, and memorabilia.
Henry P. Kendall was a lover of sailing from the time he first acquired seaside property in Marion, Massachusetts in 1912. Except for a long break during the Great Depression and World War II, he owned and sailed a succession of yachts of various design and rigging, from 1913 until his death in 1959; Jackdaw (31′), Sula (37.5′), Nahma (45′), Olio (54′9″), and Louise (55′, a sister vessel to Olio, which he named after his wife, Evelyn Louise Way). His portion of the collection includes photographs, memorabilia, racing trophies won by the Nahma, and a whimsically illustrated logbook of voyages on the Olio and Louise.
The father passed on his love of the sea and sailing to his sons Henry W. Kendall and John P. Kendall, both of whom cruised extensively in various parts of the world. Beginning with the purchase of the day sailerAramintain 1959, which he raced extensively, John Kendall sequentially purchased or had built seven sailing boats designed by L. Francis Herreshoff, whose craft he greatly admired.Araminta,Alaria,Quark(replica of Herreshoff’s Mobjack) andCatriona(replica of Herreshoff’s Bounty) were all clipper-bowed ketches by Herreshoff. In addition to sailing in modern yachts, Henry W. Kendall also commissioned the construction of a faithful replica of a 19th-century whaleboat and sailed in it.